Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Chapter 7

Higher order and lower order thinking are terms that I have been familiar with since my psychology and sociology classes in high school. Bloom's taxonomy has been revised from knowledge, comprehension, application, analysis, synthesis and evaluation to remembering, understanding, applying, analyzing, evaluating and creating. This was something I was not aware of! I use lower order thinking when someone gives me directions to a new destination, and higher order thinking when I draw a map of that same location. 

                           https://magic.piktochart.com/output/8329362-untitled-infographic






I was interested in virtual worlds to see what the hype was about. The book mentions a website called Second Life, an avatar chat world, and it looked really weird to me. I actually tried to make an account but as soon as I was prompted in install it, I decided it wasn't worth it... especially because I wasn't all that interested in it anyway! Next, I looked into Poptropica, a virtual world for kids. So far, I created a little person for myself (relatively easy) and I worked through the tutorial. I wanted to get hands on with the programs that the book talks about because it's a world I haven't been influenced by. I really enjoyed Poptropica, and I think my first graders would enjoy it to. It seems like virtual worlds come in many shapes and sizes!


The final topic discussed was about playing together. All too often teachers are busy grading, making lesson plans, organizing, emailing, and so on. While there is free time in the classroom, kids will have time to play games and puzzles. I feel that it is important to engage in games with students. I make sure that I participate in "four square" outside since I have to be out there regardless. It creates a fun relationship to pair with the structured one. Also, my students get so excited when an adult joins in on the fun, who wouldn't want to be a part of that fan club?!

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed that you more deeply explored some of the virtual worlds out there - Second Life was extremely popular about 10 years ago, but I rarely hear much about it now - the ones developed specifically for the little ones do have potential. Nice job on bringing those concepts to your personal/future situation.

    ReplyDelete