Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Chapter 5 discussed websites and their effectiveness quite a bit. I never really considered the layouts, graphics, flow, and information that each website delivers (or tries to). I know that when I am browsing for information, there are websites that I don't even view for five seconds because I am either bored, confused, overwhelmed, or just dissatisfied. On page 116 in Transforming Learning With Technology, the text gives six questions to ask yourself when you see a webpage: Is there an overload of information? Are there a lot of media techniques used? Do the graphics overload the webpage? Even though you are always encouraged to not judge a book by it's cover, when looking at a webpage... it's important to do just that!

Another topic that is I chose to discuss is cyberbullying, since it is always current and relatable. When I think of cyberbullying, I envision some type of chat room with a person or two pick on someone else in the chat room. According to page 122 of the Transforming Learning With Technology website, cyberbullying is defined as willful and repeated harm through the use of computers, cell phones, and other electronic equipment. There are laws in place for cyberbullying, and is treated as a very serious offense.

The third concept that stood out to me was the amount of domain endings there are. I usually only come across .com, .net, .edu, and .org. I had never heard of a website ending in .biz, but it makes sense to use it when you are selling items so that people are aware it won't be a regular website they're visiting.

1 comment:

  1. Another fun ToonDoo! :) Remember you can use each tool up to three times and then you will want to explore a different tool. Learning how to best 'read' a website for the information you need is vital when working with students in this digital world of ours. You point out that you had not really thought about the design/composition of websites and that is one of the reasons that some students get a bit duped when reading the web. To prevent that it is good to practice an analysis of sorts by learning how to evaluate websites (and teach your students too!) :)

    ReplyDelete