Tuesday, November 17, 2015

#K

I think the obvious choice for an interesting topic would be the Webquest. I will admit, I do not understand it that well because I have never seen or heard of it. According to the textbook, Webquests are virtual tours that students embark on. Teachers provide links and other resources to virtually guide through a process. I've struggled with applying this type of learning to younger students. It is difficult for students under third grade to research, analyze, study, and interpret information. How do I engage them with a link, and correlate it to a project?

Virtual schooling was easy to relate to. In high school, I attended a summer school math program and I can tell you that I did not learn much. Virtual school is convenient (here I am taking them during college), but it isn't the very best way to learn. Being in a class setting is more attention grabbing, and engaging. I constantly struggle with turning surprise assignments in on time, reading the text I've been assigned and so on. I am not tuned in like I would be if I were taking a Monday at 5-7pm class. I've watched a few videos on Youtube about virtual school, and a lot of girls posted videos about it. They all mention that it's stressful, boring, and challenging.

Silly video that grasps online struggles!

Virtual field trips were something that I had not previously heard of or explored. The book said that google earth provides tours of famous cathedrals, libraries, skyscrapers and more! This would be so cool to experience and I think it would really excite students as a geography lesson or something!

1 comment:

  1. Younger students are even more wired for technology - i.e., devices and internet digital content. Generally they are very motivated to use the web. A carefully crafted WebQuest is more than an activity - it is a lesson that generates inquiry and that type of learning is much deeper than direct instruction. And for the younger students with their high levels of curiosity, it is a great fit. But it does take some time and study for some teachers to wrap their heads around the concept. Keep you mind open to it! :)

    ReplyDelete